Friday, January 6, 2012

Milestone

When Maggie was 4-years-old, we were given a set of High Frequency Readers.  She loved the pictures and the simple plots.  As I read, I followed the words with my finger, and Maggie came to understand that a group of letters represented ideas. 

We continued reading the books throughout kindergarten, but Maggie didn't catch on quickly to letter recognition or phonics, and the books became a source of  unending frustration.  By the end of the school year, Maggie and I were battling through one book per week.

Maggie teases me for attributing so much of the wonder in the world to magic.  But what happened yesterday was truly magical.  Instead of doing our formal reading lesson, Maggie asked if she could read to her friends.  She took out the High Frequency Readers and read all 18 of them.  Without one mistake or a single tear shed.

I have never been so proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment