Tuesday, October 11, 2011

We are hooked on phonics.

Since our "formal" homeschooling began, Maggie and I have been going over the basics of phonics.  She didn't catch on very quickly last year in "Real School," and I'm afraid she is missing some key concepts.  We've memorized the "Short-Vowel-Sounds Poem" and the "Consonant Poem," and are now sounding out words.   

In math class, we are zipping through Saxon Math Level K.  I inherited a Horizons math book from a friend, so we'll check our understanding by reviewing those lessons, too.

And, last, but definitely not least, we have been writing. A lot. (In fact, if I have your address, you will probably receive a letter from Maggie!)  Last year, Maggie learned "invented spelling" or something, and now believes that she is the measure of all things spelling-wise.  When we work on writing letters(dictated by Maggie, transcribed by Mommy, and then copied by Maggie) I have to keep our Rainbow Dictionary close at hand.  Most of the time, she questions my 25 years of letter-writing experience and demands to be shown the dictionary entry for the word in question. 

She is definitely her mother's daughter.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment